Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Sunday, June 15, 2008

I'm a Rotten Feminist.

I'm a rotten feminist. I'm a lousy feminist.

I objectify women all the time. I don't mean to! I hate it about me. It's not my fault! I was inculcated with it. Or it into me. However it works, with inculcation.

Anyway, a woman will appear, and before I can even lock my intellectual filters into place, some part of me has already seen her as an object.

But she is an object. Isn't she? Come on! We're all objects! What's the use denying it for political purposes? I'm an object. I have mass. I displace air, I take up space. The energy in my constituent atoms sets up this sort of...vibrational force field, that renders the space between the atoms sort of impermeable, and the resultant surface both reflects and absorbs light in a way that allows it to be visible, creating the objective perception of...an object! What's so wrong with being an object? Where's the insult?

I'm an object. People are objects. Women are objects.

Is there no hope for me? Can I never break myself free of these benighted attitudes? I am a feminist. Really I am. There is no limit to how extremely serious on that point. I am an exclusive, committed feminist. I only sleep with feminists.

That's just how serious.

It's just...this whole problem I have. With objectification.

My stumbling block.

No comments: