Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Road Safety Corner #7: If It's Your Turn Then Go

Honestly, the title just about says it doesn't it? What more can I add? It's self-explanatory!

But maybe it isn't self-explanatory. Considering that the concept itself ought to be self-explanatory without me saying it. How self-explanatory can it be when I am rolling to a stop at a 4-way stop, and I see the other car has beaten me to a full stop - even as I come to a stop, he's already stopped! - and yet he wants to wait for me. He is giving me the go, with various eye contacts and arcane hand signals. Why is he doing that? Don't give me the go, dude. I don't want your go. Take your go and then I'll take mine!

If it's YOUR TURN then GO! You're not doing anyone a favor by sowing confusion and screwing up the rightful rotation on right of way. If you have the right of way, that's not your cue to get all magnanimous, deigning to let others go as it pleases you. No. It's your cue to GO. If it's YOUR TURN then GO!

Suppose you have a screener. You've come to a stop, the other car was there ahead of you, but they can't go - a pedestrian in the crosswalk is preventing him from going. That makes it YOUR TURN!! If your way is clear to go and his isn't, then it is YOUR TURN. And dammit - GO!!!

If it's your turn then go.

1 comment:

Magna said...

It's maybe even more frustrating for drivers of the cars lined up behind that other guy who bear the brunt of his unwillingness to go. I'm not sure if these Alphonses and Gastons of the automotive world are doing this out of courtesy or fear of having to keep driving.