Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Road Safety Corner #8: Dude, It's OK to Get Over

It's OK to get over. It's not an insult to yourself, to get over. You're not passing anybody. The next guy forward in the right-hand lane - he's a bunch of car lengths up, and going as fast as you are! You can just get over.

You don't want some guy passing you on the right, do you? Kind of gauche (or technically, droit). Why would you force someone to do that? Don't make somebody pass you on the right.

Shoot. What is it with people like you! Why must I always provide the good example? Why must I always be the one to get over. It's nothing personal! I'm not trying to pass you on the right. It's just that I'm here in the passing lane, and...I'm not passing anyone. So I HAVE TO GET OVER. Because I am not passing anyone, I must get over. Keep right. Pass left. It's nothing personal! IT'S THE LAW.

And then suddenly, I get over...and...all of a sudden, wow! There's no one in front of me, driving at a jackass rate of speed, impeding my progress. So I go.

The fact that I pass you on the right in the process is entirely incidental. And your own damn fault, frankly.

Now GET OVER.

No comments: