Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Thursday, July 03, 2008

Amnesia Fu

I am an avid and curious martial artist. Greedy, even. Whenever I see somebody do something cool, when I see someone beat somebody up in a novel way, I want to look into it, I want to find out about it. I want to pursue that new technique, possess it from the inside and make it mine. My own!

Currently I've been interested in the fighting style displayed by Matt Damon in the Bourne Identity movies. That's a wild style. I want to capture it, I want to learn it up. It seems to consist mostly of pivoting, more pivoting, precision arm flailing, and clobbering people with your elbows while you disorient the opponent with tricky camera work and quick-cut edits. Plus more pivoting mixed in. Depending on how many opponents, you just pivot more. It's an advanced style, but I think I can master it. I've studied the training sequences from the flashback-heavy third film, and the regimen seems pretty straightforward: a lot of big guys grabbing you and dunking you in a tank of water. Repeatedly.

I've been trying to approximate the training regimen by myself, in the ol' bathtub. It's going okay so far. I'm making some progress.

No comments: