Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Friday, July 04, 2008

Independence Day: The July 4th of Holidays

Unlike other holidays, Independence Day is celebrated on July 4th. Know what else is celebrated on July 4th? Not much.

It is however the feast day of St. Elizabeth of Portugal. Who - now, catch me if I'm wrong on this folks, but I've looked around a bit and she doesn't seem to be down as the patron saint of anything. That's BIZARRE. I thought if they were going to give you a feast day, you would have to be at least pulling your share of the weight, patronage-wise.

Well here's my suggestion, if the Pope or one of his duly-sworn representatives are listening. Here are a couple suitable and apt-to-the-occasion concerns that St. Elizabeth of Portugal could easily be made patron of, since she doesn't appear to be doing anything more important with her eternal time:

1. Independence

2. Fireworks

How about it? We need a patron saint of fireworks.

No comments: