Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Saturday, July 26, 2008

My Review of The Dark Knight: An Understated Masterpiece

What the hell was that, Brokeback Gotham? I never saw such a confused tangle of man-crushes paraded across the screen in the guise of a popcorn action movie. The Joker loves Batman! Batman loves Harvey Dent. Harvey Dent loves Batman! Commissioner Gordon loves both of them!

Maggie Gyllenhaal (or however you pronounce it) was the butchest dude on screen.

And what was the deal with that Mayor? Gotham City's supposed to be the toughest city in the world, and they elected a guy who applies his eyeliner with a Sharpie®? This is supposed to be gritty and believable? Whose decision was this, did the makeup artist make a tough call and stand by it?

I don't even know if that's eyeliner or mascara. I'm not entirely sure I even know what the difference is. These are not questions I should have to be asking myself during a Batman movie.

No, I'm totally kidding. I apologize. I'm kidding. It was a great movie. Almost as good as the first one - more technically flawed, maybe, but it also went deeper and made us care more. Ledger was pure bottled fascination, a starmaking turn under any circumstances. Under these circumstances...thankfully, the filmmakers did not leave him hanging. They crafted a film worthy of his performance.

An understated masterpiece.

I don't want to spoil anything, but the way the plot resolves, leaving the door open for a sequel...I'm glad they didn't change that, because the ending is right. But I wonder how they'll handle it. Going forward.

Did somebody say Vincent Perez?

No comments: