Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Friday, July 04, 2008

My Tsatsiki Recipe: Or, What I Can Remember Of It

I know I did have this written down. Shoot. The little square notepad page is gone from the fridge magnet under which it had snugged. DANG IT! MY CHICKEN ROAST WAS ON THE OTHER SIDE!

I don't have so many recipes that I can afford to lose these.

OK. This one is real basic anyway. No personal variation - just the basic tsatsiki that anybody can do.

Ingredients:

1 tub (32 oz) plain yogurt, drained for two hours in a coffee filter lined colander
1 nice sized sprig dill, finely chopped
1 decent sized sprig mint (I don't know, about 4-5 leaves worth, okay-sized leaves?), well diced
4-ish cloves garlic (range of sizes), first crushed, then minced to within inches of their lives.
salt (to taste)
2 smallish mediumish cucumbers, peeled, seeded, diced and well-drained
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons vinegar

NOTE ON GARLIC: I say 4-ish cloves, which is to say, I use five. But not all huge honkers! Generally I go with a couple big ones, a couple medium-slims and one little guy. But vary the number of cloves to your taste: if you like garlic just fine, use four. If you hate garlic, use three. If you possess a keen and penetrating intelligence, use five. If you are allergic to garlic, use two.

Directions:

1. Combine.
2. Chill in the fridge covered, overnight.

Important to make the day before. By which I mean, at least 24 hours before, not midnight on the eve of the thing. The flavors need time to get to know each other first, or "to marry" as some say. I say, get to know each other first.

Serve with bread for dipping (warm fresh pita bread cut into squares, or a sliced baguette) or as a topping for grilled meats.

Opa!

No comments: