Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Thursday, July 03, 2008

On The Eve of Independence

On this, July 3rd, eve of our nation's bi-cen-ten-plus-double-eleventiary, I reflect that the teaching of American History is more important than ever, because if you aren't versed on the shape and heft of the twentieth century's warp and weft, you will have no idea what weighty events the various episodes of the Twilight Zone are making fun of.

Love that marathon.

I think my favorite ones are the ones where they make fun of the communist witch hunts. Those communists and their witch-hunts! I swear. Thank goodness we don't have to worry about that anymore.

But see what I'm saying, if you haven't got a handle on your history, you're just not going to get all those juicy references! Except the Nazi ones. Everybody gets the Nazis. No worries there, been done to death, the symbolic significance of the Nazis is lost on no one.

No comments: