Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Saturday, August 09, 2008

Does Back In Black Present an Unfair Standard?

People will be talking about so-called great albums by various bands, and my gut-jerk reaction is almost always "Well sure...it's a great album, so-called, but it ain't no Back In Black." And then we'll look up and down the line of that band's catalogue, trying to determine what "their" Back In Black might have been, only to miserably conclude...they don't have one. They probably don't even have it in them.

But seriously...does anyone have it in them? Has anybody ever come out with a Back In Black besides AC/DC? And I don't mean to imply that AC/DC has another one in them. Maybe they don't.

Now to be clear: I don't just mean an album with that title. That wouldn't be so hard. No, I mean: does anybody have an album that stacks up to AC/DC's Back In Black on all the relevant levels? An album that's even nearly as sharp, hard, searing, soaring, beautiful, theatrical, riffariffic, shredtastic, and songalicious? Sure, some might measure up in one or two of those key categories, but in all of them? I don't think so.

Heck, Back In Black isn't even my favorite AC/DC album! That'd be Powerage. Now that's a great album.

But even I have got to admit...it's no Back In Black.

No comments: