Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Monday, August 11, 2008

King Of Close Calls

So she is standing at the sink, washing out her cup, as her short hair cut falls fetchingly across her face and I almost say (because that's the kind of relationship she and I have, the very close kind where I almost say) "You know what, since you've come back - that new short haircut really suits you well! Looks great,"

When she stepped away from the sink and turned her face toward me, and suddenly it wasn't even her. It was someone new I barely knew. And her eyes towards me, her face looked just as it would have if the whole scene had indeed unfolded. I have no idea why. Luckily, I hadn't yet said a thing.

"Nice cup!"

"Thanks!"

It was a damn good thing she had a nice cup.

No comments: