Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Ladies First? No, SIR!!

I always thought "Ladies First!" was a sort of a feminist motto - you know, like "Earth First!" and environmentalism? But no, apparently it's REALLY NOT. Apparently it can even be offensive. Apparently there is a school of thought within feminism that says "no thanks, BUD!!" when confronted with the whole "Ladies First" ethos. But it isn't a nice "no thanks, BUD" - they say it kind of nasty.

For these theoreticians, the feminist ideal is best expressed by everybody jamming their shoulders together trying to get through that door at the SAME TIME - and may the "best person" win.

Well shoot! If that was the way of my world, I'd be leaving a lot of women on their ass - with the door hitting them while they're down, because frankly - what chance does this sweet little thing's slight and graceful arc of shoulder have, going up against my broad, punishingly-muscled expanse of beef? No contest, toots!

See, that's why I'm the REAL feminist. If I get to the damn door first, I'll hold it open for you, to go through. And then, when you reach the next door first - you can hold it open for me if you want! Or not. It's your right to choose, just as it was mine. Sweet equality!

Courtesy is not a casualty of the gender struggle, except among those whose politics are merely an excuse to prop up their rudeness. Or at the very least, the other way around.

*refined, dignified sniff*

1 comment:

dogimo said...

But then realistically, I do the same for dudes, too.