Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Moving Day Observations #2: Sno-White Is ALL RIGHT!!

So I'm at the Sno-White Drive In getting a big bag of burger for my hard-deserved lunch break. Right in front of me before I put my order in, these four kids get their four large chocolate shakes and their basket of fries and sit down at the table nearest the order window.

These kids are about - the youngest of them looks like he hasn't yet seen the far side of five, the oldest is a scrawny eleven but his voice broke already, so he's got this...deep, serious voice. It's kind of funny.

Anyway, I'm not really paying attention, I'm waiting for my food, but it's taking awhile - Sno-White is BUSY! - and about halfway through my wait, these kids are starting to bog down on those shakes. So I hear the eldest kid say "I think we ordered too much. We probably should have gotten smalls."

Nobody seems to want to comment on this, so there is sort of an uncomfortable pause.

Then he continues, in that serious voice, "I'm not going to make a big deal out of it, like a grown-up. But that's what we'd be saying if we were parents." I have to kind of casually turn and look in that direction, to see how this is being received.

Solemn faces. Sober nods.

Anyway, I think I've got a new favorite saying!

"I'm not going to make a big deal out of it, like a grown-up."

No comments: