Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Thursday, August 21, 2008

My Apology to America

I have to apologize because, I look and see that I've only got "America" down as the label on two (2) posts, and...that's not reflective of how I see my heroic patriot's heart! I hold America tight, like a loved one, and it's got a very special place for me, and for this blog. I'd be ashamed for anyone else to think otherwise.

When I was born, there was a sort of quiver that ran through the heart of this great country of ours, as if to say "hey...that's my buddy! He's finally here!" I mean that quite literally. When I was born, each proud American citizen had this sort of a moment, when this undefinable, thrilling aura ran through them, to where they could tell...something. Now I'm sure that by this point, by now, most people have completely forgotten that fleeting, long-ago moment, that sudden subtle jolt, that unspecified epiphany - but at that moment in time, They Knew. They Knew Something.

It must have been a bit like that scene in the Millennium Falcon, where Ben Kenobi suddenly knows what happened, and...you know. He has to sit down a bit. Because a shudder ran through the universe, of sorts. Now me, my birth - of course it was not on quite that scale (although I hasten to point out that mine came first, by several years before the release of Star Wars, and therefore I have a not-entirely-unjustified hunch that perhaps George Lucas was one of the ones unknowingly inspired!). My shudder did not run the breadth of the whole universe. Just its greatest nation. And so at the very moment of my birth...

Let me backtrack a minute. I don't mean at the moment of my birth! I mean at the moment of my conception. Yeah. That's right. You know what I'm talkin' bout!

Anyway, where was I. All I'm saying is, I have a very special relationship with America in my heart. And I'd like to think that in some small way, perhaps forgotten by most people yet none the less real for all of that...it cuts both ways.

And in recognition of that special fact...I mean, two labels! Come on! That's inadequate. I'm going to have to go through and put 'America' on every post, that would be perhaps a bit more reflective of my true strength of feeling on the matter. But on the other hand, it would be far less useful for those looking for my MOST America-flavored posts.

Going to have to think this through.

No comments: