Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Thursday, August 28, 2008

My Name Is Joe, and I am a Workaholic

I can admit it now. It was a struggle for a while. I was telling myself, "hey, I'm not a workaholic. I can quit anytime."

But who was I kidding? Soon it got to the point where I had to work every day. I needed to go to work just to get up in the morning - and vice versa. It had gone beyond my control. I needed help.

Finally I hit rock bottom. Everyone knew it. I was forced to stare long and hard in the mirror and admit to myself that I had a problem and that if I didn't quit, it was going to put me in my grave. With the help of supportive family and loved ones, I was able to give it up - to quit cold turkey. I'm proud to say now that I haven't taken a paycheck in 18 months.

Oh, it was hard at first. That withdrawal can be a bitch. You really become addicted to the sweet rush that paycheck provides! But luckily, I was able to qualify for a government-sponsored program for recovering workaholics. They helped me taper down with a series of simulated paychecks - not the same high as the real thing, but enough to keep you from relapsing.

Sometimes it's hard though. I miss the way work made me feel. Especially when I'm lying on a beach, sipping something relaxing and looking out at the sun-dappled waves, I'll feel a sudden pang for the heady rush of running around trying to get other people's stuff done for money. But I know now that I can never go back.

It'd kill me for sure.

No comments: