Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Sunday, August 17, 2008

A Particularly Deep, Dark, Dense and Moist Theological Problem

A tricky theological poser just occurred to me. I don't know what to do with it, so here it is:

Did God create chocolate cake?

See? Not so simple is it! I'm not sure what to do with that one. On the surface of it...it seems like a ridiculous question! And yet...did He?

It kind of makes you want to reframe things a bit, reconsider your fundamental assumptions. I'll tell you what though...if He did...man, I'd love a slice of that with a cold glass of H2Moo! Or can you imagine if you could lay your hands on the recipe...? Holy cow, that ought to be in the bible come on!! I mean, if there is such a recipe. Maybe there isn't. Or maybe it's one of those things that is in there, but you need to know Kabbalah or whatever, to coax it out of the number jumble of an isolated series of obscure verses.

See, I just don't trust those esoteric methods of scriptural exegesis. I'm not sure I'd want to try a slice of the cake that would result from such a recipe as that - a recipe obtained by those suspicious, not to say spurious methods. I could not be sure such a cake would be free from doctrinal or moral error.*

Anyway. I'll have to contemplate on this one a little bit. I'll let you know if I can unkink the enigma. You know me! Always trying to reach that deeper place.

No comments: