Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Last of the Cell-Phone Holdouts

For a while I considered getting a cell phone just to call AAA on if my car conks out. But they don't seem to offer "outgoing calls only" cell phones. That isn't an option for some reason.

I abhor the idea of people reaching out and contacting me when I am out and about. I'm fine with a home answering machine, but I'm from the old school: when I'm out, I'm not available.

Sometimes people say "but what if people need to get ahold of you in an emergency?"

Those people don't know me very well. I'm useless in an emergency. Anyone in an emergency is really much better off dialing 911 than trying to dial me. I mean, what am I going to do in an emergency? I can't even do CPR! I'm a heck of a good kisser, but not quite at the emergency-services level.

I swear. This mania for being contactable "in an emergency" makes me wonder what people used to do twenty years ago. Today, everything is an emergency, and we're all the victim.

PSHAW.

No comments: