Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Thursday, September 25, 2008

NFL Week 4: Why I Picked The Way I Did

NFL Week 4 coming up. Lot of big matchups. A defining week for a lot of teams, early in the season. Week 4 may well end up turning into the moment that a lot of teams will look back to later in the season and say "that's where things started going the way they've gone for the rest of the season!" Certain teams might see some reversals in fortune, where things start going the other way from how they had initially been going. Uncertain teams may find that they will have to pay for their uncertainty. But for yet some other teams, week 4 will turn out to be a complete anomaly - an unscheduled blip of things suddenly, briefly going a particular way, interrupting the otherwise uninterrupted flow of a season that has been otherwise otherwise. All of that is just one of the things that makes NFL’s Week 4 so unpredictable.

But some of us have a method...! And because of that, I have been asked to offer some insights into the reasoning behind my own NFL Week 4 football picks.

Well, it boils down to pretty much everything, including a great many variables and particulars - and even more aspects. But at the very rock bottom of it all lies an irreducible core of intangibles versus fundamentals: some teams just have what it takes to just let it all rise up within themselves as a team and just let it all come pouring out, right there onto the field. Some teams don't have that. Those are the teams you pick.

I'm picking Jacksonville because Houston has no character. I'm picking Kansas City because Denver has no class. I'm picking San Francisco because New Orleans has no oomph. I'm picking Cleveland because of the X factor. I'm picking Carolina because they have the intangibles. I'm picking the Jets because my sweetie will be rooting for them. I'm picking Minnesota because Tennessee is overconfident. I'm picking Green Bay because Tampa Bay is a bunch of dicks. I'm picking San Diego because even though I want Oakland to win, they won't. I'm picking Buffalo because even though they're a bunch of dicks, St. Louis is a bunch of...uh...you know. I'm picking Dallas because my sweetie's sweetie will be rooting for them. I'm picking Philadelphia for no good reason, for no reason that I could justify or lay out for you in words. It just feels right.

Sometimes you just have to go with the gut.

I'm picking Pittsburgh because Baltimore is a bunch of dicks.

No comments: