Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Friday, September 26, 2008

When I Was A Young Boy, No Worries On My Shoulders

When I was a kid, first I wanted to be a paleontologist. Well, actually I'm not sure that was my first answer. For a long time I don't think anybody asked. Then suddenly somebody did, an aunt probably. And I realized it was an important question, and I had to come up with something on the fly. A Fireman, probably (in my young mind, it would have been capitalized).

But being asked made me give it some thought, and soon I settled on my true calling: to be a paleontologist. What a great gig! You could spend all day with big white sheets of paper, drawing dinosaurs with crayolas. I wore down a lot of reds to the nub, because my tyrannosaurs were BAD ASS BOSS. I was going to be big in the business.

Later, I decided I wanted to be a freelance artist. At one point, I think I might have been 17, my dad told me that's not actually a job.

That sounded about right to me!

No comments: