Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Monday, December 29, 2008

The Flannery O'Connor Problem: Short and Modern Story #4: "The Crop"

Pardon the increasing jumbledness of the post titles. That's what I'm reduced to, to add some interest to this enterprise.

But MAN, I am PEE'D O!!! She stole my sweet trick! I was writing a modern novel in the experimental vein, with a sweet little literary twist towards the end where our whole convention gets picked up, turned around and played with. And she does something here that's very similar. I'm not even going to get into it. Forget this - I never saw this story before, I'm not going to publicize it now and have people later say "oh, your novel is a great and powerful novel inarguably, but with a clear debt to Flannery O'Connor for its central neat trick!"

No way. I came up with that trick myself. Hers isn't even like mine! But it's just a little too reminiscent for my tastes.

So that's all for Flannery O'Connor. She done wore her welcome out.

No comments: