Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

This Seems More Than A Little Wrong, Doesn't It?

OK. So what's the legality here? If you see a t-shirt, and it's clearly in bad taste, and it appropriates a well-known and MOST DEFINITELY copyrighted image to make some SICK JOKE, is there NO LEGAL RECOURSE against this type of SICK HUMOR?

This image is obviously only a representation of what I'm talking about. Obviously it is not identical to the offensive t-shirt itself:
An Abbey Road TRAVESTY

I mean - this does seem in pretty poor taste, does it not? Is it somehow protected speech? I can't see how anyone could claim it as satire! Is there no way for the Beatles to shut down this sort of thing? Does it depend on who's making the t-shirts, just from a practical standpoint? As in, a big t-shirt manufacturer would be very visible, very vulnerable to a lawsuit, whereas some bootleg small potatoes guy cranking them out in his sick little workshop on the sly can pretty much get his pathetic, sick little thrills with impunity?

I'd really like to know what my liabilities are before I go into production.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is awesomely wrong.

Does it come in XL?

dogimo said...

nope

Mel said...

Small?

dogimo said...

Hm.

Maybe.