Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Thursday, December 11, 2008

To Cheer Up

When I sat there, drinking whisky past hours as the traffic piled up outside and my heart said "

but I wasn't listening to my heart, I was listening to the whisky.

and the whisky wasn't saying a DAMN THING

So I said,

"speak up whisky"

"whatchoo thinking"

"what's on your mind"

"what's the devil gonna make me do this time"

and the whisky said

"okay, shut up"

"just shut up and drink"

"I'll think of something"

and I said

(I said it a little too loud)

"WE'LL think of something!!!!!"

The bartender looked up from his want ads.

Suddenly I was aware a happy couple had entered the bar, hosing and scrubbing as best they can in skirts and suits. Well they ain't nothing like whisky and me, 'cause all I wanna do

is,

Man

This song is always on the juke in this damn place. Why doesn't somebody stick a fucking nickle in and play some CREEDENCE

Anyway I told the bartender "sorry man - I was, the song has got me down"

he had stopped paying attention by then. He looked up again, all

"What?"

I said "can't we get the game on one of these channels? Infomercials man, come on"

"Which game" he asked

It was like a challenge to me. But I was ready

always ready for a challenge

I was like

"I don't know which game man - any game. What game is on! Infomercials man, I mean come on"

He's like "this ain't the tv guide, man"

I was like "try channel eight"

He put it on channel 8. I was like "hold on, after the commercial"

The fucking game was ON.

I KNEW IT.

A whisky to celebrate. And I couldn't resist a subtle grin of triumph when that bastard poured.

2 comments:

jul said...

I'm thinking of starting "Genius Joe Wednesday" or something like that on my blog where I link to some of your more intelligent posts regularly. I don't this post would qualify exactly but I can't escape that fact that much of your writing is full of wisdom, wit, and charm...as well as an uncommon amount of common sense.

dogimo said...

Why, Jul! You certainly have my blessing on such a venture. How sweet of you to say!

I, uh...agree that this post is not really the banner child for such a...wait, "poster" child..."banner"...WHAT? Banner...bearer? STANDARD bearer. Banner waver? Flag waver.

Banner what!

Anyway, this ain't it, whatever it is.