Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Sunday, February 08, 2009

The Insidious Powers of Advertising, Nostalgia

There I was, standing in front of the snack machine with my open mind and my dollar bill, when I saw it: Good & Plenty. D3. Immediately the chugga-chugga of that classic cartoon jingle started up:

"GOOD n plenty, GOOD n plenty, ONCE upon a TIME there was an ENGINEER! CHOO-CHOO CHARLIE was his name we hear!"

I was like, aw yeah! Good N' Plenty Candy! Don't know any other candy that I love so well! Insert money, punch D3, - *KLUNK* - reach in past the metal slot door, retrieve jolly purple, pink & white candy box, walk back to the office - STILL HUMMING THE TUNE!

CHAR-lie says: "Love my Good N' Plenty!"
CHAR-lie says: "Truly rings the bell!"


Part the glued-cardboard flaps, dump a handful out, slam 'em in my mouth and CHEW!

Ugh. I hate these things! What the HELL was I thinking?

I think I was thinking of Mike N' Ikes.

Too bad they haven't got the jingle.

1 comment:

Jamie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.