Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

It's Time to Talk Serious Reforms #1: The Institution of Marriage

As a feminist, and as a man, I naturally spend a lot of time thinking about the myriad areas in which our society's ingrained patriarchic hegemony has contributed over the years to a situation and an environment where just plain wrongness reigns in various ways. Occasionally, I will amuse myself by coming up with proposals aimed at redressing that. This here, I believe, would be a sweet one!

A nice tradition to start (I think) would be for the husband to have to take the bride's last name, as the price for any prospective kids getting his. Paternal grandpa doesn't mind - his name is still being passed on. But first, sonny has to bitch up and switch it! HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT, SON?? Doesn't FEEL so good having to give your NAME up, DOES it?

This proposal would only merely be simply the just, rightful payment for millennia of marginalization, disempowerment and systemic abuse. PAID IN FULL.

Guys: I suggest you take the deal.

No comments: