Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Friday, February 06, 2009

My Struggle with Mental Illness

Every day, I wake up to a hard struggle. Some days it's almost too much for me to bear, to have to get up and come into work. I swear, it's like practically all the people at work are FUCKING CRAZY. What am I supposed to do? How do I cope with this?

I have been examining some options. Medication is one possibility, but the logistics and legalities of obtaining prescription medication for large-scale dosing of co-workers can be daunting. My hope is that President Obama will devote some attention to reforming our current health care system, which often obstructs treatment options rather than making it easier for people to get the help they clearly need.

Another hurdle is diagnosis. While it seems like practically all the people at work are deep in the throes of some sort of mental illness, they are not all crazy in the same way. Current mental health paradigms suggest that it is not possible to treat all ills with one pill.

Well, I consider that a cop-out, plain and simple! And I am laying down a challenge to Big Health. To the Health Care Industry itself, and to its researchers: we need to set our sights a little higher here, if we are ever going to advance to the next phase in mental health treatment! The challenge I lay down is simple: we need to develop a broad-spectrum antipsychotic.

We have broad-spectrum antibiotics, why not a broad-spectrum antipsychotic? Admittedly, there have been some problems with the use of broad-spectrum antibiotics. Overuse and overreliance has created resistant strains of microorganisms. But that will not pose a problem here, since by and large, microorganisms aren't to blame for mental illness. That we know of, anyway. Okay, like maybe on one episode of House - but it's hardly prevalent!

Anyway. Critics may point out that while my proposal is a bold, detailed plan that blazes a path and lays the firm groundwork for a better future, it fails to address the immediate problem of my own daily struggle with mental illness.

What can I say. I'm selfless.

7 comments:

Jamie said...

Hmmmm...is f*cking crazy in the DSM??

dogimo said...

It's an umbrella term.

Anonymous said...

The only reason this post isn't totally offensive is that judging by your other posts, you're mentally ill yourself. So I guess you're entitled to laugh at yourself!

dogimo said...

Thank you for your comment! As long as you're not trying to insult me by calling me "mentally ill" - I think we can all agree, that'd be offensive.

Jamie said...

But I liked it...so ummmm, diplomatic, maybe? LOL ;)

marie said...

Are we allowed to share these? That info might be in the Damn Disclaimer or elsewhere, but I'm going to go ahead and be lazy and just ask. <3

dogimo said...

Of course, Marie! It's the internet.

Thank you for the comment!