Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Thursday, March 12, 2009

GI JOE: THE MOVIE!

So I see where there's a G.I. Joe movie coming out. Live action. Actors in costumes. CGI-augmented stunts. You know the type. Things flip over. They have what are called "set pieces."

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, I believe it's called. Sounds like a sequel already!

I'll level with you. Cobra has always been a bit of a problem for me. First off (but not the problem part) is it "Cobra"? "COBRA"? Or even "C.O.B.R.A."...?

I feel like it was supposed to be an acronym, but what for, I have no idea. I could have a crack at it I guess: C for...Criminal! Criminal Operation Busily Redistributing Agony! Criminal Organization Betraying Repugnant Agenda. Covert Operatives Behind Reprehensible Acts?

I hope it stands for something like that. I always love it when the bad guys know they're the bad guys. "We Stand For Evil!" Where do these organizations get their fanatical recruits, though, I'd like to know? It's kind of hard to snake in the well-meaning furious idealist with that sales pitch.

COBRA. They'd never make it in the real world. Take away their endless supply of fanatical, die-first recruits and their unlimited resources and what have you got? These guys are terrorists who operate on the business model of a conventional army. They stage frontal attacks in force. They field tanks and other heavy ordnance. They wear uniforms for Pete's sake! None of the advantages of terrorism. All of the disadvantages of being a military outfit on the up-and-up, wedded to all the disadvantages of following a masked megalomaniac with a squeaky voice.

Yo, Joe.

3 comments:

Jamie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
dogimo said...

I suspect both Joe and Ken had equivalent equipment issues where it counts, though.

Comment moderation is pretty sweet! Who knew it was that easy! I assumed it was going to be some pain in the ass.

Jamie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.