Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Hey! Reasonable Rock Shows!

Just when I was bemoaning the cost of shows these days, I was walking downtown this morning and I saw a number of good-looking shows postered up for the coming weeks. Some were acts I know and respect but would not normally be interested in ponying up 40-110 bucks a ticket to see. Others acts I've gone to see before, but might not have been too keen on shelling out for again at the prevailing price. Others are people I'd definitely love to see, NEED to see! - but can I afford to spend money on frivolities in this economy?

But heck, though! At these prices, we can ALL afford to be rock fans!:

Vetiver with Richard Swift at The Crepe Place
Apr 7, 2009 at 7:30PM
$10

I've seen Vetiver before. I was impressed with their musicianship and bored as shit with what they did with it - but for 10 bucks?! Hell! I'd give 'em another chance! Sure. If only to hear them tear into the stomping drone of the song of theirs that I legitimately love: "You May Be Blue." That song is a grower and a growler.

Of The Jayhawks: Gary Louris & Mark Olson plus Teddy Thompson at The Crepe Place
Apr 10, 2009 at 7:30PM
$16.00

OK. "Of The Jayhawks" I could care more or less about, but TEDDY THOMPSON???!!! I am so there. "Everybody Move It" from Separate Ways was the #1 hot summertime jam of my own personal 2006, and he's only had more albums since! Go Teddy - it's your birthday - not a holiday - but kick it anyway -

OK Go. at the Catalyst.
Tues, Mar 24th, 2009 doors at 7PM
$14

OK Go? Yes: OK Go! These guys are a national act! Fourteen bucks, that's more value per your hard-earned dollar. And just to be clear, it's definitely OK Go on the poster. No ambiguity about it. Not "OKGO", not "OK GO". Capital "OK", proper-case "Go." So it's good to have that settled. I saw these guys at the Bill Graham in Frisco, and they did a good job despite everyone having a bad cold (at least, according to Snow Patrol's adorable frontman Gary Lightbody). I'd like to see 'em tear it up in their inimitable style at the classic downtown Santa Cruz showcase venue the Catalyst. Why not?

Good to see some top-ass acts getting out to give the fans a chance to take a gamble on 'em, at prices that make it a reasonable risk to do so!

No comments: