Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Things I Never Do That I Just Did #1

It's pool night. After pool night, it's kind of too late to be having some big dinner, so. I made myself a lunchmeat sandwich. But never, to the best of my knowledge, have I made myself a lunchmeat sandwich like this...!

I never make myself a lunchmeat sandwich where I put on more than one to two slices of meat (in this case, honey-brown-sugar ham). To me, more than that is like, overkill. I never pile it high when I make my own - sure, if I'm in New York at a Jewish delicatessen and they're makin' that bad boy for me (pastrami probably - I'm such a cliche when I visit New York), well hell yes then they pile it high for me. That's different, it's a delicacy. But when I make it for myself, I feel like...too much! Just a couple slices.

Ditto the cheese, I mean - normally one slice does it. I admit it, I'm a dainty sandwich maker when I'm making it for myself. But this time, I put a triple-hit of havarti on there.

This time, I piled it high.

And then: mayo. I deliberately chose and put mayo on there. Just a quarter of a knife-full dollop, just a good knife's-tip full, really. Smeared gauze-thin over only one side of one of the bread slices. BUT STILL! MAYO!

I never! Not on a sandwich. Not that I make for myself. I only keep that tiny jar of mayonnaise in the fridge for deviled-egg purposes. Pretty much. And I don't even use much then!

And I put a nice, mm thin slice of onion cross-section on there. But that's nothing unusual. Not for me, I like a nice thin fresh onion layer on there. Plus the mustard, plus the pickle, all pretty standard.

But so I'm looking at this thing. This sandwich.

Man. What's this going to even be like?

Life's an adventure, people.

No comments: