Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I Am All That Plus A Side Of

Some say "I'm more than a label," by way of retort, protesting the very idea that anyone should ever try to apply a label to them.

You know, for me, it kind of goes without retort or protest. I know I'm more than a label. That's why I never mind when someone applies a label to me. If the label is misapplied, I may dispute its accuracy (assuming it seems worth the bother). But if the label applies, to its limited little extent that any label can apply, then what's to quibble? What cause to protest? All of us are way more than just one particular aspect, such as might be labeled by a particular label - but that doesn't make the label inaccurate.

A label describes some aspect of me. It doesn't "reduce me to..." - as if someone's bare word could whittle what I am.

I am more than just:
a hard worker,
a male,
a writer,
a painter,
a songwriter,
a sex-machine,
a decent individual,
a lover both loyal & true,
a crowning glory of evolution,

but so what? I am more than any of those labels - so what? All of them are still accurate. All of them are true. And for me to dispute any label that fits, just because I'm more than...well, that's kind of some weird inferiority complex on display. As if I wasn't secure in the fact of how much I truly do transcend the crap out of these (nonetheless perfectly accurate) labels.

The fact that you're "more than" doesn't mean the label isn't 100% accurate. It's just one frame that fits you, out of many that also fit you. You look out a window, at a view of the world - what you see is truth. Nobody needs to tell you there's plenty of other views to choose. That the world is "more than just" what you see out one particular window. Nobody needs to tell you that.

I mean, you're not a moron are you? You don't need somebody to tell you that. We know that.

And if you are a moron, please: you are more than just a moron.

We know that. You don't need to tell us, thanks.

No comments: