Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Talkin' Sweet #4: There's No Explaining Us

Darling...my darling. We say we love each other. We say we love each other, and I believe that - I know that it's true. Our love is the most urgent truth I know. But at the same time, you are so mysterious to me that sometimes I feel like I don't know you at all, like I don't know you from Adam! Can't really use that expression talking to a woman. It sounds funny. But I think I could say with some justice that I couldn't know you from Eve. Because you are so beautiful, and so original, that you can only be the absolute first of your kind. And I bless the man whose rib got pulled so that the world could be filled with you, because without you, my existence would be eternally worse.

But the skeptic might say: how could it be worse? I wouldn't know what I was missing! That's false. I believe most of the whole world knows what it's missing. Almost the whole world walks around knowing the feel of that ache, that hole inside. And yes, maybe they don't know exactly what it is that they are missing, but they do know exactly how it feels, to live with that lack. I know how it feels, because I felt that ache every day - before you came into my life. And I knew it was you that I was missing, because from the moment we kissed, that ache went away. I surely have not missed it since.

Every day you yourself remain a wonder and a mystery to me. But every day, the truth of our love is plain as day - and unbreakable in my heart. It's beyond doubt to me, when it is in your eyes and in your touch and your laugh, when I see it in all of your ways...it's beyond being put into words. It's beyond being understood, and it's beyond the need to be explained. I know I will never understand you, any more than I expect to understand fate or destiny, or whatever blessed miracle brought you to my arms. Your love to me is the chiefest of sacred mysteries, and I would never be such a philistine as to think I could sound its boundaries, or fathom its extent. You have cured me of all such hubris. You have taught me that true love passes all understanding. Our love eludes words, defies reason, and confounds the mind - none of which matters. True love can be grasped by only the heart.

And mine will never let you go.

No comments: