Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Saturday, June 06, 2009

Editors Mean Well!

"You've misspelled 'vale of sorrows.'"

"I have not. To you it is a vale. To me, it is only a veil. Sorrow is no wide valley in which I dwell. It is merely a flimsy curtain, which though it may come between my eyes and the true and joyous light of this gift, life - still it cannot block out that light. It can only cast a little temporary pall - which my eyes, having seen clear, can see through. I dwell not in your valley of sorrows; I abide in the light."

...

"Bullshit. You just came up with that off the top of your head."

{ both laugh }

"Yeah, you got me. Falooted a pitch too high, eh?"

"So it was a mistake, then?"

"Yeah, yeah..."

"So I'll fix it, then."

"You know what?"

"Let me guess. 'Leave it?'"

"Yeah, leave it! I like it. It's kind of a nice sentiment."

{ irritated look }

2 comments:

The Clever Pup said...

Dogimo,
Well, I think you're right. It is VALE of tears.

My intelligent mother writes a weekly book review for a newspaper in a backwater of a town. Every week the editor screws something up. Editor is 50-odd, been doing her job for 25 years. But if she hasn't heard of something she changes it to what's familiar.

In one book review they changed "the Queen" to "the queen" throughout the whole thing. In another, "they shared a blood orange while they talked" was changed to "they shared a bloody orange..." and so on and so forth.

dogimo said...

Thank you, Pup! I do love being right, or being thought right. It's cool finding out I'm wrong too, but the educational effect of being wrong, while desirable, isn't quite so comforting to bask in.

I am laughing - "a bloody orange"! Sounds like the work of discontented British persons, knocking off the Queen's capital q, complaining about these bloody oranges. So sick of all these bloody oranges!

I can't type cockney, or I'd have tried. Plus, the further idea of a Cockney-fied editor...