Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Sunday, June 14, 2009

I Can't Put My Guitar Away

I can't put my guitar away. I can't. It has no case. I bought it specifically for that purpose. To not be able to be put away. To have its slender neck accessible to caress with an immediate grab, throw the strap over my shoulder and GO AT IT!

I bought it specifically for that purpose. In the store they were like, "do you want a case for that?" and I said no, that's OK, I already have two.

And the guitars inside them are inaccessible.

It's that extra step. I don't know what it is with me, but flipping the clasps open on my class-A dreadnought hardshell to lift the bulletproof lid and retrieve my precious and beautiful sleek, mirror-black Fender Acoustic (thank you again, Christine, really, without you what would I be? think about it before you answer) from within the plush, sable-carpeted depths of its dark, cool interior; or even just grabbing the soft black nylon of my gig bag and unzipping its stiffened length to pull forth my gleaming amber Gibson SG (oh okay, Epiphone SG. It's Gibson-compatible)...I don't know what it is about me. I can't do it!

No, not true. I can, I could, I don't. For some reason that intermediate step puts me off. I hate to get my guitar from the case and start to play with it - but once its in my hands, strings and fingers make a perfect fit, and I don't understand how I could ever put it down! And it's so easy, that I don't care how it sounds.

Well I hate to have to do something, but oh I love to get it done. And once I'm "in the moment," I don't want the next to ever come. I don't know the reason, I'm not lazy I don't think? See I've got staggering ambition, I've just had too much to drink of that sweet, sweet procrastination.

No comments: