Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Monday, June 22, 2009

Mixology and the Science of Doneness

I always love those pool joints that post up a sign of "House Rules" that are really just the normal rules but it's posted up handy to point a dummy to it.

I think a big ol Ye-Ol'-Style brass placard of some kind, behind the bar, would be incredibly useful. NEAT = right out of the bottle, room-temp. UP = Chilled and served in a cocktail glass. STRAIGHT UP = vague term. Usually means “neat”, but check first. TWIST IS A PEEL NOT A WEDGE!

Such a sign would aid patron and barkeep alike. If the patron disagrees with the "house rules" (really, quite definitive) definitions, having them posted right their would aid the patron in clarifying what it is they want. As long as the sign looks suitably ancient and classy, no one would take it as an insult to their intelligence. Except, of course, a moron. But you know what? It isn't fair to the rest of us to take into account what morons consider an insult.

Yes, I carry with me at all dinnertimes a laminated placard showing a photo of a steak cooked to each of the 7 degree of order (including raw and burnt). I have hundreds of those placards. I got a volume discount, and if the waitress wants to keep it or bring it back to amuse the chef, I give her one to keep as long as she assures me that no one will spit in my baked potato on account of me trying to be helpful.

You'd be surprised how suave I pull it off. One time the chef came right out to say hi, and asked me what my source was for those placards!

I was happy to refer him.

2 comments:

JMH said...

It's wonderful. I'm going to internalize and imitate you from now on. Except only in Spanish.

dogimo said...

That's an excellent skill to have! In fact, if the placard's bilingual, that's extra points to the good.