Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Friday, July 17, 2009

Beside you

here's to your garden
here's to your kid
I heard you were in the neighborhood
I been a long time on a skid
and baby I'm
beside you
you run to the river
when it all ran over you

this is for you standin' up to a bone-chilling wind
this is for the failures
you collected from my sins
and this is for your lonesome tears
I never dried
this is for you hanging in
in the hope that it never died

and baby I'm
beside you
you run to the river when it all ran over you

this is for you waiting up
though the call never came
for the milk of human kindnesses
you collected from your veins
and this is for your lonesome tears
I never dried
this is for you hanging in
in the hope that it never died

and baby I'm
beside you
you run to the river when it all ran over you
and I'll be running here
beside you
and I'll be running here
beside you

this is for your travel
all the blind and desert roads
good fortune smile upon you
and may love be your only load
and this is for the only one
who could quell my burning rage
to anyone been with a broken man
and anyone seen better days

and baby I'm

beside you

and I am running here
beside you
and I
am running here
beside you

- "Beside You", Dave Dobbyn

4 comments:

dogimo said...

My apologies to mister Dobbyn for any faults and flaws, it came from memory.

blue said...

Beautiful! It reminds me of another, similarly-themed but far more intimate something I've read recently. :)

I really have to check out some more Dave Dobbyn, but I was trying to take it slowly and savor. I'm still mid-Whaling enjoyment.

However much space may be between, the place beside is still held just for one. :)

dogimo said...

Aw! Sweet. :-)

Dave Dobbyn is great, but a lot of his strongest early material is extremely weighted down by dated arrangements. I mean, more dated even than his hair and outfits in this video.

But the sentiments expressed, in such frank and funny ways, I can't help but rubber stamp the whole thing flat with my blank-check endorsement. Horns, hair, crazy faces and dances and clothes and all.

Good God that guitar solo is AWESOME! HAHAHA!!!

Man. It really is like they were in another dimension down there down then. "This is how we're supposed to look, right?"

Keep the shades on, Dave. Keep 'em on.

dogimo said...

Goodness. I just saw that video says it's 1988!

What can their excuse even be at that point? Did they get our hand-me-downs shipped over after we were done with them or what?

I mean, I'd have said maybe, '83, '84.

Hwoo. Maybe they were just...waaaay ahead of the retro curve on that one.