Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Laundromat #2

You know what? I don't get how people can do clothes at home. Unless they have like, 4 washing machines and 2 giant dryers. Right? How can you? Unless you just, really, really like to be doing laundry. Constantly. You would never, ever, ever stop doing laundry. There would always be a load going, and a load drying, and a load to fold. You are enslaved to keep the pipeline moving and feed the machines, feed the machines. They want clothes, clothes and can never stop, because the demand is too high to take a break for more than a day or two.

Well, shit. I need more horsepower than that. I want to process my wash in parallel, for greatest efficiency!

Maybe it's just my love of procrastination talking, but I much prefer the laundromat. You can wait until everything decent you have to wear is dirty, and then show up in the stupidest-looking outfit you can possibly manage out of whatever odds and ends #1, are clean, and #2, don't need to be cleaned for upcoming use. Then it's like, LAUNDRY SAFARI! Drag your huge big expandable laundry carrier to the car, to the place, out again and start filling up machines with soap, clothes, and quarters.

It only takes like an hour and a half, tops. It's kind of fun while you're doing it! And then you're DONE WITH IT.

And everything you own is clean.

Ahhh.

2 comments:

blue said...

I'm almost sorry to have to tell you, but here's how it is when you have a machine at home:

You can do the laundry whenever you want. You can wash while you shower and dry while you sleep. You can add an extra rinse if your clothes feel too detergenty. You can decide you need something clean anytime you want, and put it off until anytime you want. It's so easy it's almost not even like you're doing laundry at all. Especially if, for instance, someone can't be bothered to pretreat. You're basically dumping your hamper in the washer, cooking dinner, transferring to dryer, eating dinner, then putting your clothes in your drawers or closet. Easy-peasy.

That's if you're a boy. With a girly girl, it's going to get more complicated, because you have to hand wash and do cold washes and delicate cycles and all that. Then you have to hang and air-dry. This all takes longer, but I consider it part of the rituals of being a girl. A girly-girl, I suppose, since I know not all girls do that.

But even if I were a simple wash n' dry launderer, I couldn't possibly get all or even most of my clothes done in one shot in an hour and a half. Maybe I could get all my pajamas done in that time.

dogimo said...

Well, I do know...I mean, I did have washer and dryer in the house the last place I lived for years. To me it just seemed awful. Any time I got up the dang motivation to do laundry, if I wanted to use the washer dryer it would take a day and a half to finish.

I admit - very convenient to have machines in the house! For when you need a specific thing clean, or just a load of socks or something - as a means to postpone the full on doing-of-laundry. But for me, it just doesn't serve for the main task. Most of the time I really had to "do the laundry" (read: ALL of the laundry, all my clothes that were currently not in my storage unit - I only have a small selection out and available at any given time, otherwise I'd be doing laundry in 6-month increments), I'd just drag all my stuff to the 'mat and parallel process.

Laziness breeds efficiency!