Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Pascal's Wager Revisited

When I was a sophomore (in high school, I mean), I independently formulated Pascal's Wager without ever having heard of Pascal or his damn Wager, and was immediately upbraided for my unoriginality by my favorite intimidating languages teacher. So ever since then I've said screw you, Pascal! Screw you and your damn Wager!

I have to concede that he did in fact end up winning that Wager. Well, I'm sure it makes him very happy! But if you ask me, it's a pretty fucking sick thing to go around betting on.

He should of lost.

Anyway, my version was a little classier. I'd derived it from that whole Schrödinger's Cat thought experiment setup, instead of whatever the hell gave him his cue. That bastard was probably shooting craps.

I still might feel a bit guilty about that cat, though. Can't be certain.

No comments: