Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

What about Hamlet?

Anybody else love that one? Hamlet? Shakespeare? You know, "My will, not all the world's: And for my means, I'll husband them so well, they shall go far with little." Hamlet! It's a play.

Anyhow, I do, but I have to say. If I was Hamlet...that'd been one damn short play. And world literature would be the poorer! So all things considered, good thing. Good thing for me and the world, that I wasn't born into a life of pampered Danish privilege as a fictional character, only to have my blessed little rot-spoiled world shook by some gaunt vision crying for filial vengeance.

Shit, it'd been one damn short play, even if I was Ophelia.

3 comments:

blue said...

As you know, I prefer Horatio to Laertes, and in fact Horatio over everyone else. But if you'd been Hamlet without actually turning into Hamlet, perhaps I might have a different choice---especially if you'd cut the hemming and hawing. There are certain situations where one simply has to quit the excuses and what ifs and maybes and just act.

Still, if anyone's going to take up a lot of my time with some hemming and hawing, I'm glad to have it be someone who makes the indecision and anticipation entertaining. Shakespeare is certainly one who can do that.

dogimo said...

Yeah, but there's the rub - if I'd been Hamlet nobody'd ever've heard'a th'dude!

Whoa. Apostrophe meltdown.

dogimo said...

Hm, Laertes. I don't think me being Laertes would have made any impact at all on the play.

Albeit, those sections of the dialogue might have stuck out a bit. A lot of ending a sentence with ", BUD!!" for emphasis.