Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Friday, August 21, 2009

Consider Your Ass Kicked 2: Legacy Pt.1: My Webcomic

Now that I've finished a blog, I will have time to devote over to some of my other more creative endeavors, for instance. My Webcomic.

A couple of things about My Webcomic. My Webcomic is almost 20 years old now, which might lead the observant to observe that it pretty much predates the web and webcomics. Making it in effect, the very first webcomic. But I demur in the face of all such well-meant laurels. These little humble cartoons of mine are my babies, and I'm proud of them, but the fact has to be recognized: they have been keeping quiet for a while, and in the intervening time, other practitioners of the form have stepped forward to well and truly secure pride of place in the whole chronology of the annals of things, while my own Webcomic, through fault of mine and not its own, languished and passed up its chance at its rightful place. All that is well and good, and I don't dispute it. I'm not going to come in at this late date and try to reorder people's historical perceptions. I forego that.

But by the exact same token, some other creators may have even beaten me to the punch vis-a-vis a few of its tactics and aspects. And that, I do not forego. But what the hell anyhow. I'm putting it up. I'm just putting all this context in front of it, by way of preamble. I don't need anybody out there drawing comparisons about this or that haute or defunct web comic that utilizes or utilized a similar aesthetic or device. They "got there first." I'm not disputing or disparaging that. "They win."

But once I've finished putting these up, well we'll ALL see who got there best.

No comments: