Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Monday, August 24, 2009

SORRY, DAD

My dad had a saying, a bit of a stock response of his. He used to run it out whenever one of us kids said "sorry" for something. Dad would fix us with that particular meaningful look and say: "SORRY IS A SORRY WORD."

I took that to heart. Eventually, I would simply say "I apologize" instead of "I'm sorry." He didn't have such a glib response ready for that one!

Of course, it doesn't quite mean the same thing, either.

And now I think I realize what Dad might have meant. Because "sorry" doesn't mean a damn thing, except that you feel bad. Well whoop de do. You feel bad about something! How big of you, to feel bad about something.

An apology, on the other hand, is an admission of culpability as well as regret. It's an admission of having done wrong. An apology takes guts.

And Dad, if the meaning I've retrospectively put to that pithy little quip of yours doesn't fit well with what you were trying to get across, then what can I say.

I apologize.

No comments: