Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Thursday, September 17, 2009

This Whole Kanye West Thing Comes As A Big Relief to Me

You want to hear something kind of weak and shallow? I always knew that if I gave Kanye West the necessary ear time, I'd come away loving it. TOO MANY PEOPLE whose opinions I deeply respect, weighing in to that effect, convinced me that the quality and musicianship was there and that I'd be on board with the Lord sippin' Cristal and plotting the yacht's course to the Kanye West Indies, belated-bandwagon style. I was constantly teetering on the brink of buying in. Taking that easy step, giving my best impartial listen to the goods, and admitting "y'all right."

But now? That he's turned into such a dick? I'm almost relieved. I can now take him out of the "teetering on" box, and put him safely into the "musical acts whose excellence has been sufficiently confirmed by reliable sources, such that I don't need to add my voice to the chorus of general praise" box. Which is also the "I never have to bother actually giving this ear time" box.

That's still a pretty prestigious box he's in, though. He's in there with some pretty select company. The Beatles.

1 comment:

dogimo said...

Of course, there was always that smidge of lingering doubt: anyone who can take a Daft Punk song and make it worse is most definitely...suspect.