Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Friday, October 16, 2009

Man, that is the FIRST TIME that has ever happened to me!

I bit off more than I could chew!

Wow, what an eye-opener. You go around saying something your whole life, and while it makes sense on a mental level, it's never more than just a metaphor to you. But then suddenly - it hits you! The POW! of experience!

The whole saying just comes home to me in a very vivid way, now. It's not just a metaphor!

I think it could be improved, though. The saying might pack a little more punch if instead of "he bit off more than he could chew" it was "he bit off more than he could chew of food that was way too hot to be biting into in the first place."

Still, though, even that - I don't think I'd have been able to get that real, visceral appreciation without having actually had the literal experience.

These are some gooood quesadillas.

No comments: