Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

doot-de-doo!

There's an expression I use all the time in life, and I wish I could use it more here! But I'm not sure the meaning would come across without the delivery, the vocal inflection.

That expression is "doot-de-doo!"

Perhaps some of you could help me out with a little feedback. If I were to use that expression here ("doot-de-doo!"), what would you think it means?

I'd give you an example, say, use it in a sentence, but in most cases it functions as a standalone sentence. doot-de-doo!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I would take it to mean, "So what?" or "I'm impressed! (Not)

Angie said...

I would say it means something like WHATEVER! or C'est la vie! or maybe Yippee! But that's just me... it's like an ink blot test... it will mean different things to different people. That is, unless, you specify what you mean by it :)

Sean Scully said...

I am not sure what it means, but it beats La-tee-dah, or Any-hoo. I say it can mean any damned thing you want.

JMH said...

Let's test it out in phrases.

"I'm so sorry for your loss, doot-de-doo!"

"Oh, baby, yeah, right there (doot-de-doo!), that's it, right there!"

"Doot-dee-doo, chump!"

Hmm. I don't know. It's a chameleon of an expression.

Lunarchick said...

It sounds like "ta da!" kind of thing to me. Like a presentation of something impressive.

For example, "Look at this incredible bowl of cornflakes I made for you, doot-de-doo!"

dogimo said...

Y'all have opened my eyes on the versatility of this one. I think it could work fine for most of these meanings!

How I've been using it is, when

You know what, it's been a while since I tried to write a dictionary-style def. Let me take a crack:

doot-de-doo: an interjection used to indicate when something stupid has been said or done with cheerful obliviousness.

Most often, it's used in relating a story of something you yourself have done ("And that's when I finally realized the guy was a cop! doot-de-doo!"). But it's also used when someone says something out loud, only to realize a second late that what they said was REAL dumb, one of those present might chime in with "doot-de-doo!"

But I am going to see if I can't work in some of these other uses. I'm guessing: it's all in how you say it!

doot-de-doo!