Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I'm a Bit of a Bible-Thumper

I'm a bible-thumper. I find it to be a real comfort. I admit it! Some would be embarrassed to admit that. I'm not. I'm comfortable standing forth and telling the world that I'm a bible-thumper! It's a little hard on the bible, though. The cover's all...dented in and the pages are kind of compressed together a bit. From the impact.

I thump my bible with great fervor and zeal. Any time I really feel the urge to tear into a book - well wait, no, I'd never do that to the bible! I'm not going to tear into it. Thumping, yes. Tearing, no! Those pages should remain un-torn. If I want to go tearing into a book, I'll choose a secular one. No tearing the bible! Whereas, with thumping, if the cover gets a little pounded in, well no big. As the saying goes, the book, versus the cover - what's important, right?

It's the book.

That's what's important. And for me, the bible - hey, I just find it very comforting. I get a lot of solace, there. Anytime I feel the need to start pounding the books, the bible is most absolutely the very best one for it. I don't know why, there's just something about it that is very solid and substantial and rewarding. Hefty, but yielding. Spiritually inspiring, but as a physical object, very large and square and indisputably grounded in the real. I've been a very enthusiastic bible thumper, ever since college (which is when I got this particular bible!). I find it a form of meditation.

I don't want to come off all preachy, but: you should try it.

No comments: