Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Listen: I Never Liked Pearl Jam Before.

I never liked Pearl Jam before. But this new album is good. I am seriously considering reviewing it.

Now of course it should go without saying, I always respected the sound they could put out, pretty impressive. And their integrity taking stances on a whole host of issues that I personally could care less about. I respected the hell out of them for doing so. On my behalf, as it were! It's nice to see a band step up and play that role, without coming across as really off-putting or whatever about it. So yeah, Pearl Jam: a leading light in the music industry and no mistake! A major rock band in anyone's book. Never liked 'em. Not enough songs that I really cared for. Three, I think.

I say all that just to clear up any confusion on my initial statement. It's really not a case of "what's not to like?" because there's nothing not to like. They just never sufficiently grabbed my lapels and got all right up in my face with the hot-ass undeniable great songs that I crave.

But the point, the upshot of all of what I'm saying here is, though: this new album. It's called Backspacer.

This is a good album.

I may end up writing a review of it. Just for my own personal use, even. Right now, though, I'm in the listening to it phase. I've heard it once through all the way already, and I had to go right straight back in for more.

So we'll see how it holds up.

3 comments:

blue said...

So how did it hold up?

I think the problem (and please correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm only guessing) with them and you before may have been that you didn't listen to a whole album, or the whole right album? Let's investigate: which of their whole albums have you listened to?

I am by no means a current Pearl Jam fan, but they have produced quality music I think you would like. Not just say "okay, that's fine for those who might like it," but actually enjoy and want to listen to.

I think the single "Just Breathe" off this album is the worst thing I've ever heard them do and borders on evidence of brain damage in Eddie Vedder, who wrote the lyrics. And this is a guy who I'd have cried over the day he got married had I not been rather taken with the fact that his girlfriend/wife was someone he'd been dating for 10 years and seemed like a regular person. More importantly perhaps, this is a guy who wrote several lyrics that literally mirrored lines I'd written independently. I can't say whose writing came first, because I have no idea when he wrote his, only when the songs came out---but that was definitely long after my lines, and I did have a journal stolen in high school, so, you know. ! ;)

blue said...

Point of interest: I was curious what had happened with Eddie Vedder and his wife Beth (Liebling, of Hovercraft, but his girlfriend from early '80s Chicago days), so I looked it up. Seems that they got divorced in 2000. Mr. Vedder is now engaged to a model 13 years his junior, whom he started dating when she was 25.

I'm just saying.

dogimo said...

"Just Breathe" isn't so bad in the context of the flow of the album. I'm a little shocked it was a single! I didn't realize that.

I like it! It's a fun rock album. It's not so overbearingly serious like a lot of their stuff is. Funny, there are plenty of bands I like whose stuff is downright morose half the time, so that can't be the reason I haven't caught on with these guys. And this album isn't like...a Van Halen album or anything.

OK, I've said that about it: "It's Pearl Jam's Van Halen album!" But that's not really that good a comparison. It's only feels like that compared to their usual mood. It's got the roar, burn and crunch, but it feels like here the roar is surf, the burn is sun, and the crunch is snow. This album's eyes smart from the fresh sting of daylight, fresh air and hope. It's got some exhilarate to go with the adrenaline.

OMG EDDIE VEDDER STOLE YOUR JOURNAL BLUE. That's how he gets all his lyrics! He steals girls' journals! And everyone gives him such credit for being a lyrical chameleon. Ill-gotten gains!

I have to say, I always was just the slightest bit suspicious. "Don't call me daughter" indeed!