Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Make-Your-Own Album Review #1: Sia Furler's Some People Have Real Problems

I never got around to reviewing this album. Yet I feel as if I have, since I've been littering all sorts of places with raves. Put 'em all together, maybe it makes a review! You could edit out the redundant parts if you like, shape it up a bit, and stick your take on my cohesive album review right in the comments.

"Thank you for pointing me in the direction of this fantastic musician! I love the musical style she works in, and I love her songcraft.

She's clearly some singer as well, but I'm not convinced she won't drop a few of the more...overt stylistic quirks? as she matures. But what a ridiculous quibble - there's nothing in her delivery that truly mars what she has to offer."

"I love Sia. I love the musical style she works in, and I love her songcraft. She's clearly some singer as well, but I'm not convinced she won't drop a few of the more...overt stylistic quirks? as she matures as an artist. But what a ridiculous quibble - there's nothing in her delivery that truly mars what she has to offer.

I listened to Sia's Some People Have Real Problems second, after Chickenfoot, because I'd never heard any of it before and I wanted to give her a chance before Jarvis came in and blew away the foundations of the stage. Well by the end of Sia's album I was more worried about Jarvis! I cannot recall the last time an unheard person has come on and blown me away like this before, track after track, great tunes, melodic, funky and soulful. This is good music. I mean, real good. A real grabber, first time through."

"I'm willing to concede that perhaps Sia's a bit of an odd bird - but only, I think, in the degree to which she's retained her sense of goofy play into adulthood.

And her accent.

She does go in for those odd music twangs! Most of her stuff is quite soul flavored, this one is almost bordering on post-funk neo-disco."

"Well I think I should say, I do feel quite a bit smitten with Ms. Sia Furler. What a great songwriter."

"Hm. My descriptions don't amount to much. Sense-wise. But anyway, I love it! Some People Have Real Problems, Sia Furler, used to sing for Zero 7 at times, back in the day. This is several albums in for her solo career, but the first that's caught my ear in a major way. Solid through and through. Great songs, beautifully sung, cool arrangements. She's like the cool chick in the proverbial black turtleneck, only minus the latte and bongos. Maybe a kazoo instead. And I don't think a turtleneck either. Not really her literal style, actual fashion-wise perhaps."

As you can see, I pretty much copied whole chunks from one area and used them to kick-start a post in another. I do that a lot. If I like the way I say something, it's going to turn up again! Next time I need to say it. Anyway, I was sure I had more description of individual songs elsewhere, somewhere, but I can't find it.

No comments: