Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Friday, November 06, 2009

Medium Ex Temporare

I haven't done this in a while. I'm just kind of typing!

No idea in place, no thoughts as to what the desired outcome should be. Lately it seems like I've got nothing but drafts. I'll get an idea to halfway there, or I'll pull a

Actually, I'm bored with that paragraph. Let's see what this one has to offer.

Hm. Liked it! Short. Concise, to-the-point; expressing a certain hopeful, open-minded willingness to be impressed, maybe, but not building itself up too much. More matter-of-fact than anything else. Really, a good reflection of how I approach each day! "I'm bored with yesterday. Let's see what today has to offer."

That paragraph was pretty good too. This is working out OK! Let's see if I can pick up that last train, develop that line of thought a bit.

Every night when I turn in, I look forward to going to bed. And then each day when I wake up, I look forward to getting up in the morning. I find myself always looking forward to stuff that's pretty much exactly about to happen. Especially during sex! But you know what, wait - I'm sorry, let's leave that aside. Not that I'm a prude about matters sexual! Any long-time reader knows I address such issues with a real wholesome frankness that a LOT of people would find quite refreshing, in a world gone so frequently vulgar. Wholesome frankness. Wholesome frankness. Something about that phrase! Tingly. But anyway, lately on the sex talk tip, lately I feel like I'm kind of a class guy overall, and I'd like to keep that rolling. So without becoming repressed or all tut-tut about it, I think I may just sort of deign to gloss lightly over such things for a while. In a sort of knowing, ah-yes-well, we're all adults here? Sort of way. The discussion needn't grope into all the sweaty particulars. We can just pack it into meaningful looks, and a few well-placed gleams of repartee. CLASS.

Man. That was the worst paragraph yet. What a mess.

I better stop.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You have such an extenstve vocabulary and a command of the language. I wish I were so skilled a writer.

dogimo said...

Why thank you! But you do just fine though, you know - storytelling is your gift, I'm a bit more of a what would you call it, a monologist?

You know, it's funny you say that, because I've been growing increasingly dissatisfied with my command of the language, past few years. I keep meaning to buy one of those PSAT vocabulary primers that set me up so sweet in the first place! It's the effortlessness that I want back, my effortlessness is no longer effortless.

I just need to tighten down, firm up my grasp, get those perfect words back into their accustomed rows - I don't like to have to grope around for one! I want it to be there conveniently at finger's tip, not agonizingly at tongue's.

I'll be getting to it. Definitely.

JMH said...

I respond to vocabulary much as I respond to chips in a cookie. If the vocabulary words are are chocolate, commonly delicious, then the more the better. If they're butterscotch or peanut butter, one or two is enough, and I think you got one or two in the back of your mind without any PSAT shit (PSHAT?).

dogimo said...

Oh, I agree, I agree - I'm not looking for any new words! I just need to get that re-iron grasp on the ones I have or still-almost-quite have, or used to have. I can't stand sitting there, knowing there IS the perfect word, that I know or knew it, that I can feel its shape with my mind as if in the dark - and I'm stuck? That's as far as I can get it?

I can't settle for a weak word, a bad fit, when I feel so perfect in my darkened mind, the tool that I know I need. So I have to...well, usually, I have to turn it into a project, go looking for the word I know is perfect, sometimes even ask somebody - pain in the ass.

Basically, I'm willing to put in a month or two of hard work hitting the book, to get out of it another twenty years of sweet, easy, LAZY language springing to attention at my bidding.

dogimo said...

Huh.

I wonder if all my seeming virtues reduce to me wanting to make it easier to be lazy?

Fuck it, I do not care if they DO. A virtue's a virtue whether or not you've got the ulteriors. Something that cynics sometimes seem to miss.