Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Sunday, November 08, 2009

My Late Poetry Surge: I'm Not Just Throwing Up Any Old Crap, You Know

So, over on A Pocketful Of Poesy I've cracked the 300 mark for the year on poems! On day 312. I've almost finished making up that terrible deficit from my slow start. I just need to bear down and finish strong, and I'll clear 365!

And if I can do that, then I'll feel pretty good about re-branding Poesy as a "Poem-A-Day(-On-Average)-Blog".

A bold claim like that - being able to make it on merit - well, shoot. Who knows what that could do for me in specific, and dare I dare, for poetry in general? Poetry gets so little respect. Poetry has seen dark days. Poetry needs its grim champion. And after this last stretch, I'm feeling ready to don the mantle! Let me tell you.

But I'd like to make one thing clear: I'm not just throwing any old crap on there to make the goal. Sure, some of these poems are quite slight and whimsical, but that's always been true of my poems. Of some of them. Others are as weighty and ponderous as ever! And every poem must meet my eternal, ephemeral standard of quality, or else they don't get posted!

At least, they don't get posted now. I don't want to sully the Drive For 365 with the appearance of sandbagging it. But you can bet that after I've hit that mark - well, first I'm going to take a LONG BREATHER from writing poems. FUCK. But then, maybe after the first of the year, I'll share with you some of the "rejects." Just to show you, if you thought the ones that made the cut were bad, you know...take a look at what I'd up-'til-that-point spared you.

1 comment:

Lunarchick said...

300!?! That is one freakin' impressive feat I don't mind saying. Congratulations!

And I love slight and whimsical! So there, I said it.

In fact I gift you with my own slight and whimsical.

I am rare
special
like a limited edition box set

Yup, I wrote it. :-)