Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Monday, November 02, 2009

(Not All Good People, Though!)

Some things I've noticed about good people. I feel like I've been noticing a lot of good, in people, lately! Just from interactions of others. And some of the same things just keep jumping out at me. Now, not absolutely all the same things, of course - not all good people share all the same qualities. There's no absolute acid test, and anyway - what would be the point? There's no identical standard everyone must fit. Life's not a beauty pageant. Life has too much beauty to be fit into a pageant. And after all, there is at least as much variety among good people as there is among crappy ones!

There are some crappy ones, unfortunately.

But still - without generalizing, I'd say I've noticed a few things about good people. Things that every time I see them, they take me aback, they inspire me. Things that make me want to be that way, more than I am. Things that can be picked out, pointed up, and appreciated! And why not? Good should be appreciated. It needs to be. We need it to be. Desperately, I believe.

Good people are generous with strangers beyond all reason.

(not all good people are, of course!)

Good people think it makes sense to love others, often quite easily.

(not all good people do, of course!)

Good people don't need there to be an excuse to reach out.

(some good people do, of course!)

Good people don't scale back what they give to match what other people do.

(some good people do, of course!)

Good people don't make up reasons to believe the worst of others.

(some good people do, of course!)

Good people, given the chance, would rather trust you than otherwise.

(some good people wouldn't, of course!)

Good people don't force themselves upon others.

(some good people do, of course! I guess.)

Good people are forgiving of deep and vicious hurts.

But not all good people are, of course.

Not all good people are.

There are quite a lot of 9 out of 10s out there, though. There really are. It's not that important to rate and rank. It's more important to appreciate when you see it. And I believe there's simply too much good to miss, in most people. I believe most people are mostly good - mostly very good.

Unfortunately, there are also some real 1 out of 10s out there too.

EDIT: Wow, and re-reading most of the above - I do set the bar pretty LOW don't I? But then, what the heck, why not. Nothing wrong with setting the bar a little low. In this life, sometimes, you gotta learn to love to limbo!

8 comments:

dogimo said...

Another thing I've noticed is, a lot of good people are bad at math. I'm not saying that's an indicator. I'm just saying.

(some good people are good at it, of course!)

Probably if you did a really detailed statistical analysis about it, what you'd come up with would be: most people period are bad at math. Good, bad or indifferent.

Mel said...

I failed highschool maths in quite a spectacular fashion, but I am not a good person. I do wish I wasn't the exception that proves your observation.

The last thing I said to my mamma was that I promised her I'd live a good life. How I also wish I knew what I had meant by that, and God knows I wish I knew how to keep that promise.

dogimo said...

I don't know about all that, Mel. You seem like straight paper to me!

Okay, maybe a little on the dodgy side.

I've seen all good people turn their heads each day. So satisfied I'm on my way.

Mel said...

I gotta lose that hat!

:-)


Just been watching this ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvPyT-YGUIg

now that, my friend, is some seriously awesome cape action.

Nice.

dogimo said...

Don't you DARE lost that hat!!! It's an outstanding hat.

I'd have said, send it to me, but hats don't fit my head.

It's the sad truth. Hats don't fit my head.

I'm in the process of writing a tormented R & B slow jam about the situation. It's called "Hats Don't Fit My Head."

I don't know about the whole cape thing, m'Mel. Capes just seem so 1672.

Mel said...

Nah Joe, you gotta get with the cape program. I have seen your freaky future, and it's capes.

1672-ish it may be, but in the future people who don't wear capes will be ostracised as medieval racists.

Looking forward to hearing your hat song. Perhaps my "I Turn My Cuffs Up Coz That's How I Roll (My Hems)" can be the B-side.

It's an edgy, acoustic sigh-put-to-song about refusing to spend one more cent having my jeans, shirts and skirts taken up.

dogimo said...

Hm.

Hm.

I'm not collaboration-averse, now. But somebody else's single as my b-side? How's that work? What if some dj flips it over and the next thing I know, my "Play That Funky Music" is dumped in favor of YOUR "Ice Ice Baby"? Thanks but no thanks to that!

The thing about capes is, you can't cuff a cape.

Mel said...

Glad to hear you're not averse to combining musical forces.

Everybody knows you gotta stop, collaborate and listen.