Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Supposed To Be

Every time I hear a phrase "_______ is supposed to be _________!", my mind automatically reacts with a knee-jerk challenge:

Supposed by WHOM?

Try this yourself. Every time you hear someone say something is "supposed to be" something else, ask yourself: supposed by whom? And I do mean, ask yourself. You don't want to necessarily chime in with that out loud, every single time. Although that would get people to think!

About you. In a way you'd rather they didn't.

But yes, ask yourself: who is supposing this? Whose supposition is this?

Supposed by whom?

I bet you'll be surprised by how often the only possible answer is: supposed by FOOLS.

Um.

No offense to anybody.

Try not to say that part out loud, either!

4 comments:

tattytiara said...

Suppositions. Suppositories.

Tomayto. Tomahto.

Sarah said...

Am I supposed to leave a comment?

dogimo said...

@tattytiara - ah, as in, "you can take your supposition and..."

@Sarah P - I certainly suppose so!

Unknown said...

Supposition, Support hose...that's the old lady in me making the obvious progression!