Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Talkin' Sweet #7: the Look Looking Forward

Hope? Love? Certainty? And just...gratitude. Relief. Combine all that into one word, and call it whatever you want.

I'm glowing with it. It suffuses my waking moments, at times of the day a faraway look will steal behind my eyes, my expression will drift across the room and bump into the furniture and I'll start humming softly to myself, abstractedly, under my breath, over and over, over and over, with snatches of words sung mumbledly, half-sung, half-hummed, "...you and me could create / something magical, honey..."

Then my feet start shifting, numb tingling, lifting off the floor and there's a static charge in my fingertips. My hand runs over the top of my head and it crackles. Suddenly I return to myself with a loud *SNAP!!* of sudden consciousness, and I realize what I've always known in the bottom of my heart about the truth of love.

Which is what? Which is what? The meaning slips back again like a thief!

But we sum it up perfectly, without saying a word.

1 comment:

JMH said...

You snuck this one in here. But it's SOMETHING. Not everything...

The word I use to describe this elegance is "neat."