Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Big Deal, Denver!

Yeah, I've had your omelette. So? What's the big deal? You chopped up some bell pepper and put that in there. Amazing. How did you happen to think of that? Had some bell peppers lying around, perhaps? Weren't using 'em for anything important, thought it was about time you stepped up and made your mark on global cuisine with a signature dish all your own? What a city of master-chefs! Denver, you amaze me with your chutzpah.

You think people back East hadn't thought of doing that, way before you did? Sure! They just didn't call a press conference over it. Didn't hire a PR firm. Weren't too impressed by the result, most likely.

Whereas out in Denver, I picture you back in the day inflicting this proud concoction you're all so pleased with yourselves about, on all the waves of incoming cattle-drivers happy for a chance to unwind in the big city after their long dusty trail. "Can't I get it without all the colored bits?" "We do eggs this way here, Cow-boy!" "Well okay, then, I weren't making no trouble about it."

I've got news for you, Denver: a lot of people don't even like bell peppers.

No comments: